How To Find The Right Personal Injury Lawyer That You Can Trust
Finding a Personal Injury Lawyer That You Can Trust
Personal injury law covers situations in which a person’s body, mind, or emotions are hurt, usually due to someone else’s negligence or carelessness. A person who is injured or has an accident is entitled to compensation.
A well-equipped personal injury lawyer is the one you need to approach to handle this case effectively. But first, there are some things that need to be considered before you consult a personal injury attorney to find one that is suitable for you and your case.
Why Do You Need a Personal Injury Attorney?
Personal injury is a specialized area of law. An attorney without extensive knowledge on the subject of the extent of personal injury law and how to apply them to achieve best results will not be able to give you the justice you seek and deserve. Even though an attorney may be licensed to practice before the court, lack of expertise on the subject may affect your case negatively.
An ideal personal injury lawyer:
- Is qualified and stays up-to-date of the latest advances in frequently changing laws of the country.
- Has handled many personal injury cases that involve working with an insurance company. A lawyer with well-established associations with the auto and health insurance companies would prove beneficial.
- The right personal injury lawyer will have a clear understanding of all aspects of the case and the compensation entitled to you. The repercussions of a serious injury can be everlasting. A skilled lawyer will see the bigger picture and craft a settlement that meets all of your needs.
There are various measures to be taken before choosing a personal injury lawyer:
- Use the internet to research attorneys and law firms. Review their website and look at the types of personal injury cases they have dealt with and more importantly, the amount and types of settlements for those cases. Read through testimonials to see sort of an impression they left on previous clients.
- The next place to investigate would be their social media accounts. Use Yelp, Facebook and Twitter accounts to further examine the company’s image and the work they handle. Investigate their company on Google as well.
- Lawyer directories are also a great place to find a legitimate professional of law. Attorneys or firms listed in professional directories are mostly trustworthy and capable of handling personal injury cases efficiently. Keep an eye on their endorsements and ratings received.
- The best method of all will always remain some good ol’ fashioned word of mouth or recommendations. Talk to friends, family, colleagues, and associates to see if they have ever hired a personal injury lawyer. Although everyone’s case is quite different, you will still find some leads.
- Interviewing the personal injury attorneys you have shortlisted is the last step. Have a list of questions prepared to ask during the interview. Ask about previous cases, his method of handling cases, charges, a settlement that he usually obtains, etc.
Before finalizing on a lawyer, keep these points in mind:
- Choose a lawyer who does Personal Injury law exclusively – You risk the quality of your representation if you choose an attorney that does not specialize in personal injury law.
- Select an attorney who has a history of taking cases to trial if necessary – If your attorney is unwilling to put the case before a jury, it will be brought to the insurer’s knowledge and end up affecting you badly. Choose a lawyer who is unafraid to face the court of law to help you obtain maximum justice.
- Select a personal injury lawyer with a proven history of high verdicts and settlements – Not every case is worth a million dollars, but if yours is a large case with serious injuries, make sure you have an attorney who can do you justice and bring you a significant amount as settlement. Research your attorney’s prior case settlement amounts.
Find an attorney who has sufficient resources to take your case seriously.
- Serious personal injury cases are expensive to prepare. Many experts like doctors, economists, biomechanics, accident reconstructionists, vocational rehabilitation specialists and life care planners may be necessary to properly prepare a case. In such cases, the expenses can be massive. It is important to hire a lawyer who has that kind of money to spend on the case.
- A lawyer who has written and lectured in the personal injury field would be the optimum choice. If your chosen attorney has written or published or lectured in the personal injury field or given presentations on the same, then you need not look further for a more competent lawyer to take up your case.
A Personal Injury Lawyer Can Help
The dedicated attorneys at Brett Tessler & Associates can help you or a loved one if you have been a victim of a hit and run accident or another form of personal injury. Contact us today at (215) 569-9005 to speak with a member of our legal team to discuss your case.